Wow, seems like it’s been a long time since i’ve updated! A lot has happened in the last week, and i’ve been going crazy with all sorts of new stuff!
I was listening to something on TV when i heard this song which had a little cheezy electronic drum loop mixed in. Every time i hear those distictive percussive sounds, it reminds me of my very first electronic keyboard–A Casio VL-1. It has a small white plastic keyboard with a built in speaker and the chiklet piano keys with numbers and rhythm pattern names labeled on it–the numbers are there when you need to switch it to calculator mode
So I sampled It, and I programmed the demo RBS with the same rhythm patterns preset in the VL-1. There are only 3 sounds used for these rhythms combined with the monophonic lead sound. It’s more a less a novelty, but one never knows when they need some cheeze. It seems like people use it occasionally on their tracks:-)
The CHEZIO VL-1 rbm only modifies the 808 section. There is also an “adaptor” version, which will be available soon.
As far as the mod “adaptors” go, i’ve done a whole bunch of them. I really liked LoopTech 1.5, so i started to fool around with mixing and matching the 909 sections from 2.0 mods with it. Orbit 2.0 really complements LoopTech well.
There were a few very cool “unofficial” 1.5 mods that i liked, “Blackfish” and “Binary” and “Fatboy” to name a few. Through all this i’ve noticed one thing. All the mods sound better with the new RB2 909. The combination of sound pallettes is really fantastic.
If you haven’t already tried this, I recommend converting some of the old 1.5 mods over to RBM’s. Use ReNovator or whatever, and drop the samples into a MOD folder and for the 808 graphics, make sure to get 12520.jpg - 12525.jpg and include them in the mod folder. I’ve been reducing the 1.5 splash and have incorporated it as well into the adaptor mods.
Since there are already about 10 of these that i’ve packed, i’ll put a list of links on the adaptor page for download.
PhaseII mod is put on hold indefinitely since the components for it were lost during my HD Crash. This is unfortunate since it seemed to be quite promising as a “useful” type of mod, too.
Dejenerate MOD has had some sample updates, however i’ve been having problems with the demo song. Something happened while i was cutting and pasting loops in song mode which made the file grow to about 230K in size. The synth samples have been compressed and equalized a bit so that they aren’t so loud and bassy. The loops have been adjusted a little and they sync better now. I will post it as soon as i can retrack the demo song.